EA Giving Tuesday
Donation Matching Initiative
Donated and Matched Data
Facebook has given us pieces of data on which donations were matched. We've made some assumptions and extrapolated this data to get overall match amounts. At this point, we believe these estimates are fairly accurate.
Much of the data on this page was made possible by application development work by Ben Forgy, which made it possible to get 475 donations by 209 donors into a spreadsheet with just a few hours of work.
Estimated from Fundraisers vs. Reported by Organizations
We've sent follow-up e-mails to all organizations expected to receive a nontrivial amount of donations and/or matches informing them the amounts they should be receiving. Some organizations have helpfully reported to us the donated, matched, and/or total amounts that either (a) Facebook informed them they'll be receiving or (b) they've already received. For the organizations that have reported at least some of this information, the table below shows the amounts we've estimated from fundraiser page data vs. the amounts reported to us by the organizations.
A few further notes on this:
- All organizations should have received donations and matching funds, though most have not reported the amounts to us.
- The total amount reported is $839,827, including incomplete data (e.g. where we only have the matched amount). This is 71% of the $1,187,285, the total amount we had estimated from fundraiser page data.
- In general, the amounts reported by organizations have been higher than the amounts we had estimated from our fundraiser page data. Most of this was probably caused by people who donated on Facebook but not through our fundraisers.
- The amounts for GiveWell, Centre for Effective Altruism, and Animal Charity Evaluators also include the amounts they are regranting to other organizations.
- An empty cell means the organization has not reported this information.
Donation Amounts by Second
This chart only includes data for the first 60 seconds of the match, which represents 89% of the amounts donated over the first 30 minutes or so. This is based on data from fundraiser pages, with a -2 second adjustment.
Number of Donations by Second
This chart only includes data for the first 60 seconds of the match, which represents 86% of the number of donations over the first 30 minutes or so. This is based on data from fundraiser pages, with a -2 second adjustment.